The freelance economy in the US is booming bigger than ever.
Upwork. A study released by Upwork revealed that one-third (59 million) of American workers freelanced (or tried), during the midst of the pandemic.
- This revealed a 22% increase (2 million) in freelancers from 2019.
- American freelancers have reached $1.2 trillion in total annual earnings.
Let’s take a look at more findings from the survey of 6,000 American workers…
How Does it Affect My Wallet?
Freelancing > traditional work? 75% of the people surveyed said they’re making equal or more money than they were at their traditional job.
- 58% of remote workers say they’d consider freelancing.
- 36% of freelancers are full time — an increase of 8% from 2019.
Freelancing instead of uni. Gen Z people are starting to choose freelancing as an alternative to college amid the tough job market.
- Half of the people surveyed age 18-22 have freelanced — 36% have started since the pandemic.
Don’t want to miss our financial news you can finally use? Subscribe to our newsletter – it’s free!